1/13/09

Random Thoughts....

  1. So, how are you doing with those New Years resolutions?
  2. Whats the deal with everyone asking me about this P90x? It seems to be the latest workout craze. "Get absolutely ripped in 90 days". It seems that the key components are working out for 90 straight days and this idea of muscle confusion. Two problems I have here. Have you ever met any one that has worked out for 90 straight days? A lot pf people have a hard enough time working out for two straight days. This 90 straight days of working out doesn't seem to be setting you up for much success. The second problem I have is this bogus idea of muscle confusion. Muscle confusion is a fancy term for doing different exercises just to do a different exercise. There is no way to to track your progress or figure out what is working and what is not if you're constantly doing different exercises. And your body is not going to adapt to a certain exercise as fast as it will adapt to a certain number of sets and reps.
  3. Clients ask me from time to time what I would need to outfit a training studio. My list would include: a power rack, a couple of adjustable benches, a functional trainer, dumbbells and free weights, maybe a 20-25 yard runway to do some joint mobility/dynamic flexibility training and then supplement in other pieces of training equipment such as super bands, medicine balls, ab wheel, etc.. It'd also be nice to have a concrete wall to do some dynamic work with the medicine ball. Oh yeah, I shouldn't forget the cardio equipment. May be one piece, a treadmill or bike. Why not an elliptical? Because....
  4. I tried. I tried real hard. No matter how hard I pushed myself on the elliptical the other day while trying to get an interval workout done, I could not not jack up my heart rate. I guess that's why every other person is using the elliptical and why I blame the the elliptical for part of peoples fat loss problems.
  5. One way I've altered my interval training personally is by using my recovery heart rate as an indication to start my next interval rather than using elapsed time as a barometer. Most interval training programs will suggest a certain time frame for your work intervals and then a certain time for your rest or recovery intervals. A lot of programs will suggest a 1:2 or 1:3 work:rest ratio. This is fine for the average individual. But what about the highly conditioned person. They may have been fully recovered way before the suggested rest interval is up. And vice versa for the deconditioned person. So using heart rate is a better measure. I'll have a short post on this sometime soon.
  6. I had some Crossfit instructor tell me I should be doing Kipping Pull Ups. This was after I completed a set of neutral grip chins with 100lbs attached. Having no idea what a Kipping Pull up was, I decided to look it up:



What the heck kind of pull up is that? It's a pull up gone bad. I don't think I can even call it a pull up. Another reason why I'm not a fan of Crossfit.

No comments: