10/6/07

Question to RichRuff Training

Hi Rich. I am trying to find an exercise that I can add to my workout that will increase the strength of my hockey shooting muscles. What about swinging a kettlebell in one hand?

Barry

Hi Barry. In order for me to really answer your question I would need to know what your workout consists of now. But I can help by giving you some suggestions.
What I would not do is to try and replicate your shot with weight training exercises. If you mimic your on-ice shot too much with weighted exercises you may actually screw up your shot mechanics and produce a negative effect.
What you can do is try and strengthen your shot indirectly by working on the muscles that are involved in your shooting. Some exercises I may include in your workout are: chin-ups & pull-ups, external rotation work for the shoulder, direct forearm work, and some torso rotation work (Russian twists and diagonal woodchops for instance). This work, along with your on-ice work should help improve your shot.

No comments: