2/23/08

RichRuff Training Exercise of the Week: Kettlebell/Sandbag Circuit

I'll be the first to tell you that after lifting weights for awhile it can get get pretty damn boring. There are times when I don't even want to look at a barbell or dumbbell. Or times when the thought of doing another squat routine makes me sick. My motivation to continue to stay in shape starts to fade. It's during these times, that I look to find other ways to train. And I do not think I'm the only who feels this way.

The following is a total body circuit I performed earlier in the week. It was one of those days where I was tired of doing the same old lifts for a certain number of reps for a certain number of sets with a certain period of rest. It was time for something different, even if it was only going to be for one workout. Luckily, the place I was at had a couple of kettlebells, a 50lb sandbag and a high box lying around. Here's what I did:

A1) Single Arm Kettlebell Snatch x 10 reps each arm
A2) High Box Step Ups w/ sandbag x 10 reps each leg
A3) Walking Kettlebell Swings x10 reps down and x10 reps back
A4)Renegade Row w/Kettlebells x 4-6 reps each arm
A5)Push up w/hands on Kettlebell x max reps

The rest period between exercise should be the time it takes you get from one exercise to the next. After the last exercise, take about a 3 minute rest and repeat the circuit 3-5 times. Since, my work capacity is junk I was only able to repeat it 3 times before I called it quits.

If you don't have kettlebells or sandbags lying around, get creative. Go take a look in the garage or the basement and see what you can come up with. Good luck.

No comments: