4/13/09

Random Thoughts

Since my computer is down right now, I'm not able to make an Exercise of the Week video. So, a random thoughts column will have to do for now. Sorry.
  • I hope everyone had a great Easter and Passover. I know I did. I watched a thrilling final round of the Masters. I ate. I watched the Celtics get crushed by the Cavs, so I ate some more. I watched J.D. drew leave the bat on his shoulder for the final out of the Sox game, so I ate again. And then I sat in traffic last night on the way home. Every year Easter seems to be the worst traffic holiday of the year...why?
  • I ran my first bootcamp this past Saturday morning with great success. Everyone seemed to enjoy the workout and not one person complained about being there at 7am on a Saturday morning. Perfect.
  • Sometimes I think certain exercises get pigeon holed as being bad exercises. With the exception of a couple of exercises, bench dips being one of them, there are few bad exercises. Any exercise could be called "bad" if it is done with no regard to technique or tempo. And certain exercises may be okay for one person, but "bad" for another person according to their health and exercise history.
  • A friends wife recently asked me what the trick was to getting in shape. Well, there is no trick. Getting into shape comes down to discipline and consistency. Without either of those two things, no diet or exercise program is going to get you any where no matter what Oprah or Christie Brinkley tell you.
  • Before thinking about what more you can do to improve your health or fitness levels, you should be removing your bad habits first. What good is a a new workout routine going to do for you if you're still drowning yourself in booze over the weekends? What good does eating 5-6 small meals a day do for you if each meal is loaded with grains or processed foods? What good does some extra mobility or flexibility work do for you if you're posture is still horrendous?
  • Does any one really think that training for the Boston Marathon is good for you? Or any marathon? Don't get me wrong. Finishing the marathon is quite an accomplishment. But with the exception of a small percentage of people, most us of are not built to limp for 26 miles. We were built to run or walk. We weren't built to jog. I know each year I trained for the marathon, that would be three times, I never felt worse physically: strained right calf, stress reaction in my hip, strained left calf and a lower back that felt like it had been whacked multiple times with a sledge hammer. Factor all that in and then add the feeling that I felt so weak I don't know if I could have bench pressed 45lbs. I guess I was one of those people who's not suited to run the marathon...just like 18,000 other people who are going to line up in Hopkinton next Monday. If you are running it, good luck. I feel your pain and anguish.
  • Is it alright for me to be a bandwagon Bruins fan? I admit it. I hardly watched any of their games until this past year, but only because they had one of the top records in the league. I still don't understand the game, but I do know I'll be tuned into every playoff game. Go Bruins....and Celts....and Sox.

No comments: