8/18/09

Sending the Wrong Message

I'm calling out Time magazine for an article that I think came out some time last week. I know it was on it's cover. Here's the article in case you haven't read it:

Why Exercise Won't make You Thin

Before I even had a chance to read it, I had four clients refer me to it so I figured I'd better check it out. And when I was done with it, I couldn't have been more upset with Time for actually letting this article go to print. Yes, some points in the article are valid. Exercise alone is not the answer to losing weight. But it's definitely part of the weight loss equation. Right now, the United States is in the middle of an obesity epidemic. About two out of every three people are overweight. Some think that figure is going to get closer to 90% over the next ten years. Now one of the top selling magazines in our country is telling you not to exercise if you want to lose weight. How foolish does this sound? Time could have printed an article stating that exercise may help with weight loss (which we all know to be true) , but that article or headline would have been pretty boring. It wouldn't have grabbed readers attention or drawn them to the Time website. But this article catches people's attention right away because people hate to exercise. I'll even bet most people didn't even read the entire article. They just saw the article headline or magazine cover and thought if it's on the cover of Time it must be true. That is how some people think. They think of Time to be a reputable magazine. Not me. Especially when I see the quote from a researcher at LSU that states, "In general, for weight loss, exercise is pretty useless." Great. Let's blame the inability for some one to lose weight on exercise. You just made a name for yourself. And if you want to go ahead and make these statements and print this type of garbage, go ahead and take the responsibility for this country continuing to get fatter.

No comments: