12/23/07

RichRuff Training Exercise of the Week: Circuit Workout

I'm going to mix it up a bit this week just because it's Christmas season (if that makes any sense). Rather than an exercise of the week, how about a workout of the week? Yesterday I was pressed for time and I wanted to get a quality total body workout in in about 45 minutes. Actually, I wasn't pressed for time, but I pretended like I was. It's been tough to workout lately. Anyways, here is what I came up with:
  • 5 minute upper and lower body dynamic flexibility warm up
  • A total body circuit consisting of the following exercises, with no rest between exercises until the end of the circuit.
A1) Zercher Sandbag Step Up x15 each leg
A2) Shoulder Sandbag Squat x15 each shoulder
A3) Kettlebell Swing x15
A4) Prone Alternating Kettlebell Row x8-10 each side
A5) Kettlebell Push up x 15
  • Before I performed the first set, I though I might need 2 minutes rest after the last exercise. When in reality, after 2 minutes I was still trying to pick myself up off the floor. So I decided on 4 minutes.
  • The first run through took about 3.5 minutes. The second time dropped off to about 4 minutes. And the last set I didn't even bother timing. I just wanted to finish.
  • Call me a wuss, but this is one of the harder workouts I've done. I'm usually a guy who does a set, rests 90-120 seconds and then does another set. I'm not in good enough condition to go from one exercise to the next with minimal rest. But hopefully, over time I will be.
  • What I did like about this workout is that it brought me out of my standard alternating sets type of workout. This was mentally and physically demanding.
  • Don't have a sandbag or kettlebell lying around? I'm sure many of you do not. Substitute a barbell and dumbbells instead.
If anyone has any tough circuit conditioning workouts they'd like to pass along, please do. I'm always game for trying something new. It might only be once, but I'm always game.

No comments: