5/28/08

Workout

I'm not a TV junkie. I have a ton of shows on my DVR that I have to catch up on. The only time I'll really sit in front of the TV these days is to watch the Celtics make every series a seven game series. Other than that, there's not much I watch. So last night, I had some time and wanted to catch up on my DVR action. I especially wanted to catch up on Bravo's Workout. Have you seen this show? There's something about this show that makes it one of the only TV shows I'll take time to watch. Do I watch it because there are a couple of hot chicks on the show? Yes. Do I watch it because the shows main character is absolutely crazy? Yes. Do I watch it because Beverly Hills is every thing Boston is not? Yes. But one reason I definitely do not watch this show for is to learn anything about "working out".

I watch some of the crap that these trainers put these clients through and am just dumbfounded. And these clients are not paying your average $75-$85 per session. I bet you they're paying close to $200 per session. Last night, I was watching an old episode where this woman who was about 100 pounds overweight with a sprained ankle was being forced to run through thick sand. What? This woman's ankle could barely hold her up on solid land and now you're going to make her run through thick sand. And then when she breaks down in tears because her ankle hurts so bad you're going to scream at here and call her weak? Ridiculous. As a trainer, I'm embarrassed because it's this type of illogical training or big headed trainer who give the training industry a bad rap. These type of trainers are all about making their client sore. These trainers think it's funny when their clients run to the bathroom to puke. These trainers think the workout is all about them and show no regard for the client. I have friends or clients of mine who think this what my job or role as a trainer is. They couldn't be more wrong. Do I want to get results for all of my clients? Yes. Do have to beat them up or cripple them with soreness to do so? No. If you really want to know what my job is like, take everything you see on that show it and flip it around 180 degrees. Or if you're a reality TV junkie tune into Bravo next Tuesday @10pm.

No comments: