7/10/08

Question to RichRuff Training


A few months back I went on a diet to try to get rid of some fat and give myself a nice lean, musclar physique with great abs. While dieting I was not eating enough for all the cardio I was doing and ended up losing most of my muscle. I am looking to rebuild all this muscle I once had, lose the remaining fat on my body, and get a nice, lean physique and was hoping you could guide me in the right direction with exercises and calorie intake and how long this should take.

JJ

Hi JJ. I wouldn't focus on calorie intake as much as I would suggest focusing on the quality and the timing of your foods. Borrowing a quote from Charles Poliquin, "If it doesn't walk, run, swim or fly and it's not green, don't eat it". You don't have to take it to that extreme, but the message is to eat whole, unprocessed foods. Aim to have a small feeding or meal every 2-3 hours. This meal should always include some source of protein. Once you get closer to your ideal physique, then you may to want to focus a bit more on calorie intake.

Training wise, get rid of your cardio. Performing cardio along with a low calorie diet is a recipe for muscle loss. Get back into a strength training routine, probably a full-body or upper/lower split performed 3-4 times per week. A good portion of your workout should consist of compound movements (squats, presses, pulls, lunges, etc.). And then use accessory exercises, such as biceps curls or lateral raises, to bring up any lagging body parts. Good luck.



No comments: