8/12/08

Random Thoughts....

....from the first couple of days of the Olympics.
  • Can just one of the gymnastics girls smile? I know this is serious stuff and I know this may be the only shot at a medal for some of them, but is it that hard to show just a tiny smile? It might even help their marketability after the games. Who knows?
  • What is in the pool water over in Beijing? It seems like during every race a new world record is set. Five teams broke the old 4x100 meter freestyle relay record the other night!! Five!! Imagine breaking a world record and finishing in fifth place. Is there really such a thing as fast water?
  • I actually thought China might have a chance against the U.S. mens basketball team the other day, considering the United States poor showing at the last Olympics. I guess not. May be this "Redeem Team" is actually taking this Olympic thing pretty seriously.
  • Can't wait for the track & field to start. That's what the Olympic games are really about. Not archery, water polo or synchronized diving.
  • Back to the gymnasts. It makes me cringe every time I watch them perform a landing. To me it just seems like such a violent act on their knees, ankles or any joint through the lower body.
  • I guess softball will no longer be an Olympic sport after this year. That's only to bad if Jennie Finch planned on playing four years from now. She's the only reason I knew it was even an Olympic sport in the first place.

  • I don't think that there will be any question once these games are over, that Michael Phelps will go down as the greatest U.S. Olympic athlete ever. How old is he again?
  • The I.O.C has the toughest drug policy in the world. I think. So it amazes that any athlete would test positive for a banned substance. Can you be that ignorant? I read in the paper today that a cyclist tested positive for EPO. Have a half a brain, will ya?
  • Didn't watch the opening ceremonies and sure won't watch the closing ceremonies.

No comments: