9/9/08

I'm Sorry


Last week I posted "My Top 5 Reasons Why the Patriots Will Reclaim the Lombardi Trophy". Less than 48 hours later every Pats fan throughout new England incurs their greatest fear as our Hall of Fame quarterback's ACL is torn. Talk about a jinx. How many more punishing blows can we take as Patriots fans? We suffer one of the most agonizing losses in Boston sports history and then seven minutes into the first game of the next season our franchise quarterback is writhing in pain on the Gillette Stadium turf.

But unlike Jets fans or Steeler fans or Colt fans, I think this team is going to be okay. They have too much talent and too good of a coach to just totally fall apart. That and they may have the softest schedule in the league. Is Matt Cassell as good as Tom Brady? Hell no!! But take a look at the Tom Brady of 2001 when the Pats won their first Super Bowl. He wasn't the Tom Brady of 2007. During that 2001 season he mangaed games well. He passed for about 200 yards a game, threw 18 TD passes, threw 12 picks and had a QB rating of 86. Not great numbers, average numbers. And he was on a team that had far less talent than this 2007 team. Give me those numbers, even less than numbers, and I bet this team wins 11 or 12 games.

I'm already hyped up for Sundays game against those loser Jets and their overrated, aged quarterback. I think it's going to be a special season again, circa 2001.

No comments: