11/11/08

Random Thoughts....

  • Funny thing I witnessed today. I saw a guy hop on an upright bike and pedal just hard enough for the bike to start up. So he pedaled casually for about 10 minutes or so, hopped off the bike and then went an grabbed a cup of coffee while his wife (or maybe it was girlfriend) finished up her workout. A couple of minutes later, I saw this guy standing outside the gym door smoking a cigarette!! I guess he thought he deserved a butt after barely braking a sweat.
  • I don't want to hear "a calorie is a calorie" again. All calories are not created equal. Are 800 calories of lean meat and vegetables the same as 800 calories of apple pie and chocolate chip cookies? I think not.
  • People who need corrective exercise are not doing enough of it and people who don't need corrective exercises anymore are doing too much of it.
  • It was great to get out and play 18holes of golf the other day, considering we are in the second week of November. It wasn't so great to post a snowman on my first hole.
  • I think most people still don't know what good nutrition is. Good nutrition is not a low fat or low calorie diet. Good nutrition is eating every 2-3 hours, having a protein source with every feeding and consuming 3-5 servings of fruits and vegetables per day amongst other other good nutritional habits.
  • Big game Thursday night, Pats vs. Jets. I'd never thought the Patriots would be playing the Jets for sole possession of first place in the 11th week of the season. But I also never thought the Patriots could be 6-3 after losing their Pro Bowl quarterback, starting running back, starting strong safety and their most versatile linebacker.
  • Every year around this time, you start to hear that the average person gains 5-10lbs between Thanksgiving and Christmas. And every year I find this hard to believe. I don't call this average. I call this gluttony.

No comments: