11/28/08

Random Thoughts....

  • Happy Belated Thanksgiving to everyone. I hope everyone had their share of food and drink. Now go get rid of the leftovers. One cheat day is enough.
  • It's funny to me when people talk about how much damage they did to their waistline on Thanksgiving. They get so concerned about one day of pigging out. It's not one day that's sabotaging your weight loss plans. How about the other 364 days of the year? Those are the days you should be worrying about.
  • Last Thanksgiving thought: The Detroit Lions should have lost the right to play on Thanksgiving day after their woeful performance yesterday. Thanksgiving is about two things: food and football. All I want is a decent game and to sit down and watch as I load up on turkey. And I don't think the Lions have played a decent game in about five years. God bless those Lions fans.
  • I hate the hip abduction machine. Actually, the only thing I hate worse is watching a guy use the abduction machine.
  • There are more commercial gyms and training studios in every city or town than ever before. Yet, we keep getting fatter as a country. So it's not the ability to exercise that is a problem. It's the exercise programming that is the problem.
  • Single leg training is a key factor in keeping your knees healthy. So wouldn't it make sense that single arm training would be beneficial for your shoulders? I would like to see more people doing dumbbell or single arm work as part of their upper body training. Some great unilateral upper body exercises are: single arm dumbbell presses, dumbbell rows, single arm cable rows and side lying dumbbell external rotations.
  • A stretch that I picked up about a year go that I've been using more frequently as part of my own training and that of my clients is the sleeper stretch. It's a great stretch for anyone with ailing shoulders, overhead throwing athletes or if you're doing your best to stay away from injury. Be careful not to force that forearm to the floor. All you're trying to do is get a light stretch through the posterior shoulder capsule.

Have a great weekend everyone.

No comments: