3/3/09

My Training Day

A couple of months back I gave you a glimpse into what foods are usually are on my grocery list. And it seemed to draw quite a few comments:
  • "You should really be eating this instead of that."
  • "Where's the ice cream? Everybody eats ice cream, right?"
  • "Don't you eat more vegetables?".
So, I thought I'd give people a glimpse into my training session and see if it draws any comments. I'll give you my latest workout which just happened to be a lower body day. And like every other chicken legged 32 year old, I hate training the lower body. But it has to be done. So here's a brief outline:

5 minutes of foam roller work (quads, IT band, glutes, calves). Some trainers advocate foam rolling post workout, I like to do it before. I just feel I'm able to move a bit more freely with my major movements if I include a couple of minutes of foam rolling to help release some trigger points.
Movement Prep: Half Kneeling Hip Flexor Stretch, Split squat, Lateral Split Squat, Rotational Split Squat, Squat-to-Stand. My movement prep work is usually going to consist of some type of static flexibility and some dynamic flexibility and joint mobility work. I tend to target the hip flexor area a lot because mine are extremely tight and if not loosened up, I have difficulty getting into the bottom position of a squat or deadlift. I'm also getting myself mentally and physically ready for my workout. Blood flow is increased, my central nervous is amped up a bit and my focus starts to narrow a bit.
Strength Training:
For my lower body work I try to include at least three things: 1) a squat or deadlift variation 2) a single leg exercise 3) a posterior chain (hamstrings, glutes, lower back) exercise. So today's workout looked like this:
  • A) Barbell Deadlift: 2 sets of 5 reps for a warm up and then into the work sets. The work sets were 3 sets of 5 reps and 2 sets of 3 reps. 4 minute rest between each set.
  • B1) Barbell Reverse Lunge: 3 sets of 10 reps. After a 90 second rest, I supersetted this exercise with the following exercise.
  • B2) 45 Degree back Extension: 3 sets of 15 reps. 90 second rest here also and then back to the reverse lunges.
  • C) Ab Wheel Roll Outs: 3 sets of 12 reps. 90 seconds of rest between each set.
  • D) Backwards Sled Drag: 4x30 yards. 2 minutes of rest between each set.
That's it. Done in about 60-7o minutes. What do you think?



No comments: