3/19/09

Shrugs, Curls & Calf Raises

If I wanted to create an effective training program, shrugs, curls and calf raises would be the last three exercises I would base my training program around. I'm not saying these exercises do not belong in an individuals program, because they can can be used to bring up specific weaknesses. But I can't tell you how many guys I see spending the majority of their time doing these three exercises. Yet, I can tell you that these guys are weak, have pot bellies and can barely support themselves on their stick legs. And what's the commonality with these three exercises? They're pretty much single joint movements. These guys would have much greater success with getting stronger or leaner if they built their training program around multi joint movements exercises such as rows, chin ups, deadlifts and squats. Go multi joint or go home.

No comments: