11/1/07

Keeping a Food Log

When my clients are focused on losing weight or improving their bodyfat percentage, I stress the importance of proper nutrition in addition to their training program. The first thing I'll ask a client to do is to keep a 3-5 day food log. They should be writing down everything they consume whether it's a glass of water, an apple, a bottle of wine or a free taco from Taco Bell. They should also be writing down what time they ate that taco. Most people do not know what they are eating, so a food log is a must in order to point out where better choices can be made. But it will also tell me something else. It will tell me how serious they are about cleaning up their diet and reaching their goals. I can not tell you how many times I've asked a client to keep a food log. But I can tell you how many times I've actually received one from from a client. Maybe 3 or 4. Do you know what this tells me? Most people are not serious enough about losing weight. If you can't take an extra 5-10 minutes a day to keep a food log, what tells me you're going to take extra time out of your day to prepare meals or eat right? So if you're serious about losing weight, start keeping that food log.

No comments: