11/28/07

"....Squats and Lunges are Bad for the Knees."

"I heard that squats and lunges are bad for the knees." This was part of a question I received today on the website Allexperts.com. The question was about whether squats or lunges are better for leg development, but aren't they both bad for the knees? So I asked back, "Where did you hear this from? Do you have any evidence or research to support this?". I can not believe this myth still exists. A lot of things can be bad for the knees. If I slugged your kneecap with a sledgehammer, wouldn't that be bad for your knees? But a lot of things can be good for your knees, such as squats and lunges, when they are applied to a training program correctly. Another thing, watch people move throughout the course of a day or during a game. You will probably see alot of squat and lunge type patterns. So why is that garbage quote still out there? When someone can find some research, please let me know.

No comments: