12/19/08

Random Thoughts....

  • Hard to believe that the Patriots could go 11-5 and miss the playoffs. When Brady went down a couple of plays into the first game of the year, I'm sure many Pats fans thought the season was going to be a disaster. I honestly thought they'd go 12-4, because I'm such a homer. But there's no way I thought they go 11-5 and miss the playoffs. If the football gods are looking down on New England this Christmas, they will make sure the Ravens and Dolphins lose their final two games. Go Pats!
  • A push up should be a pretty simple exercise, right? But it's amazing to me when I watch how horrendous some people look doing push ups. And these are people who would probably consider themselves to be strong. I saw a high school boys soccer team earlier this year doing push ups and couldn't believe what I saw. Butts in the air. Hips sagging. They looked like they were breakdancing. Even a few kids doing them from their knees!! These are high school boys who are supposed to be in terrific shape. How can it be that they can not do a correct push up?
  • Does anyone believe the average American gains 5-7lbs between Thanksgiving and New Years? If that's the average American, I'd like to see the people who are putting on more than the 5-7lbs. Actually, may be I wouldn't.
  • New years Resolutions are a joke. I'd say 95% of people do not carry through on their New Years resolutions. I bet by the second or third week of January, most people have given up on their New Years resolutions. If you want to be successful with your New Years resolutions, sit down and take the time to to do some goal setting. Be more specific with your goals, re-enforce your goals every single day and set a time frame for your goals. You'll be far more successful.
  • I used to hate deadlifitng. Now I'd rather deadlift than squat.
  • If you spent 45-60 minutes a day working on a particular goal, wouldn't you expect to get somewhere with that goal? Yet, I still see people moving mindlessly on the treadmills or ellipticals, expecting the weight to just melt off. And it's not. Sorry, people, but there are more effective ways to lose weight.
  • Please do not join the gym in January and just go in and use the cardio equipment. If you just want to do cardio, go invest in a piece of cardio equipment for your home. Think about it. The average gym membership is about $75/month in the Boston area. That equates out to $900/year. Over three years that's $2700. You could go out and get a pretty nice piece of cardio equipment for that much. And it's probably going to last you more than three years.
Have a great weekend everyone.

No comments: