3/12/08

A Nice, Little Trick

Do you have an exercise that you struggle with? May be an exercise where you get to a certain number of reps and you say, "Screw it. I'm done". It may not be that you're so physically fatigued as you are mentally fatigued. I have this problem with chin ups. I feel like I've been training with chin ups for years, but I can never get past 12 reps. I get to 12 reps and everything shuts off. The 8th, 9th and 10th rep aren't so bad, but I struggle with 11 and 12.

So earlier this week I tried a little trick I had read about. Rather than starting at rep 1 and counting up to 12, I started at my goal number which was 14 and counted backwards. Bam!! 14 reps in!! I finally broke that 12 rep plateau. And it wasn't so much physical as it was mental. By counting down from 14, I had gotten myself to believe that I had 2 reps left after having done 12. A little more work remained. Mentally this didn't seem so impossible. With my old counting method, counting up, I was telling myself how much work I had already done rather than how much I had left. Much more mentally exhausting. Do I make sense? Give it a shot next time on that exercise you're struggling with. I'm sure you'll see better results.

No comments: